“Where do I start?”
This is something lots of people ask about the Bulletproof Diet. I spent a lot of time getting the core Bulletproof Diet infographic into a simple format so you will at least know what to eat. But even then, information overload is always a problem, especially when you’re dealing with family, job, and the other things that make life fun.
Change is hard enough, but it’s worse when you haven’t even started yet. It’s about to get a lot easier. Another common problem is forgetting to implement the entire Bulletproof Diet. Maybe you’ve been able to get rid of grains, but you still haven’t been able to find grass-fed meat.
A lot of people feel like they’ve failed if they don’t eat perfectly, so they decide to ditch the entire program – bad idea, especially since you don’t have to do it perfectly.
That’s why I’ve created a step-wise approach to getting started on the Bulletproof Diet. The Bulletproof Diet is (as any healthful diet should be) an abrupt departure from the Standard American Diet (SAD).
One of the most common questions I receive is whether or not the Bulletproof Diet will work if you discard some of the principles and consume non-organic vegetables, conventional meat, farmed seafood, etc.
Basically, will a few of the Bulletproof Diet principles be enough to notice any difference? The answer is always the same: “Yes – but the more you do, the better it works.”
However, you’ll be healthier and stronger by making even the smallest changes. For some people, it’s easier to use a check list when making dietary changes. This is the step-by-step guide to changing from a Standard American Diet to the Bulletproof Diet. This list does not include exercise or other lifestyle recommendations, which can be found here.
These steps are cumulative; the farther you go, the more Bulletproof you’ll become. Start wherever you are and move forward. All of these steps are built in to the Bulletproof Diet infographic too – sign up to get it via email – and stick it on your fridge so you can check how Bulletproof a food is.
14 Steps To Eating The Bulletproof Diet
1. Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks that contain HFCS, honey, and agave) .
3. Eliminate gluten in any shape or form. This includes bread, cereal, and pasta. Do not make the mistake of resorting to gluten free junk food, which can be almost as bad.
4. Remove grains, grain derived oils, and vegetable oils such as corn, soy, and canola. Also remove unstable polyunsaturated oils such as walnut, flax, and peanut oil.
5. Eliminate all synthetic additives, colorings, and flavorings. This includes aspartame, MSG, dyes, and artificial flavorings.
6. Eat significant amounts of pastured, grass-fed meat from big ruminant animals such as beef, lamb, and bison. Pair this with fish, eggs, and shellfish.
7. Eliminate legumes such as peanuts, beans, and lentils. If you must have your beans, soak, sprout (or ferment), and cook them.
8. Remove all processed, homogenized, and pasteurized dairy. High fat items can be pasteurized, but they should be grass-fed. Full fat, raw, whole dairy from grass-fed cows is okay for most people.
9. Switch to grass-fed meat and wild caught seafood. Eat pastured eggs and some pork, chickens, turkeys, and ducks.
10. Switch to organic fruits and vegetables. This is more important for some plants than others. See this site for details.
11. Cook your food gently, if at all. Incorporate water into your cooking whenever possible and use low temperatures. Do not use a microwave or fry.
12. Limit fruit consumption to 1-2 servings per day. Favor low fructose containing fruits like berries and lemons over watermelon and apples.
13. Add spices and other flavorings from the Bulletproof Diet. Favor herb based spices such as thyme and rosemary over powders. Use high quality ones, recently opened.
14. Enjoy your food.
- If you have to have some form of cheat/junk/fake food, have it, and don’t act like you’re “off the wagon”. The more you venture from the Bulletproof Diet, the less you’ll benefit. The more you stick to the Bulletproof Diet, well, the more Bulletproof you’ll be. Small variations are fine and do not constitute failure.
- If you experience allergies, acne, or other negative effects after consuming dairy, switch to ghee as your only dairy, and eat coconut oil and animal fat.
- Do not count calories in an attempt to lose weight. Eat until satiety and then stop.
- Try not to snack. Bulletproof intermittent fasting is encouraged, though not mandatory.
- Limit fruit consumption to 1-2 servings per day to avoid high triglycerides. There are other reasons to limit fruit consumption, but it won’t kill you.
- High healthy fat intake is optimal. General ranges are 50-80 percent fat, 5-30 percent carbohydrate, and 10-30 percent protein.
- Eat as little polyunsaturated fat as you can. Supplement with fish oil or krill oil if you don’t consume fatty cold water fish like salmon on a weekly basis.
- If you can’t find grass-fed meat, choose the leanest cuts of grain-fed meat possible. If you can find grass-fed meat – choose the fattiest cuts possible.
- “I don’t have time” is not an excuse. Nourishing your mind and body is not optional. Anyone can make soft boiled eggs and Bulletproof Coffee.
If you do this mostly right, you’ll set yourself up for a low inflammation, high performance, high energy lifestyle. If you don’t make time to take care of yourself now – you’ll have to make time to be sick later. Eat Bulletproof. Be Bulletproof.
information that upgrades their lives.