Jessica Richman, co-founder at uBiome, started and sold her first company after high school. Returning to formal education, she attended Stanford University, where she earned degrees in Economics and Science, Technology & Society (emphasis in computer science). Along the way, she worked for Google, McKinsey, Lehman Brothers, the Grameen Bank, and top-tier Silicon Valley venture firms. Currently a doctoral student at Oxford University, her academic interests include social networks, innovation, collective intelligence, and entrepreneurship.
uBiome is the world’s first effort to map the human microbiome with citizen science.
While the sequencing of the human genome has provided invaluable knowledge, it is very difficult to change our own genetic makeup. The microbiome, in contrast, is much more easily changed through simple means such as healthful probiotic cultures and other lifestyle interventions. The microbiome thus may provide some of the most important medical breakthroughs of our era. uBiome will ultimately empower participants to manage their microbiomes to improve their health as well as make important scientific discoveries for humanity.
Click here to read the free transcript of this episode (coming soon).
Did you know you can get a free PDF download of every transcript of every episode of Bulletproof Executive Radio by entering your email address in the box on the right side of this page? You also get a free copy of the Bulletproof Diet, the Bulletproof Shopping Guide, and much more.
What We Cover
- 0:33 – Intro to uBiome and Jessica Richman
- 4:00 – What are some of the ways that you test for the various body biomes?
- 5:45 – What am I going to learn and get back from taking these samples?
- 7:13 – How is a genetic profile different than what you could get at a Dr. looking for parasites? What are you sequencing?
- 9:57 – How can the average person use this data to make actionable decisions?
- 11:03 – Big Science vs Citizen Scientists; The Biohacking Movement
- 14:55 – What is and isn’t in the 16s test? And are you saving the samples?
- 15:59 – Looking at Dave’s reports what level are we at?
- 20:52 – What about the FDA?
- 22:55 – How do you interact with doctors and data?
- 24:57 – What about outside of the U.S.? Data collection, test purchases, purposes?
- 28:43 – What are the top 3 things that people should consider to be higher performance?
Links From The Show
Over the next several weeks on Bulletproof radio, there will only be a cool fact of the day, and an interview. After the conference, on January 17-19, 2013, there will be an hour long show of Q & A, and then the show will resume in full.
PaleoFX is coming up in March! Will we see you there?
Questions for the podcast?
Leave your questions and responses in comments section below.
You can also ask your questions via…
Don’t forget to leave a ranking in iTunes. It helps more people find our show.
information that upgrades their lives.