John Kiefer is an exercise scientist, nutrition expert, and author of the new book Carb Back-Loading. John applies his knowledge from a career in physics to hack the human body for fat loss, muscle gain, and improved performance. He is the author of the Carb-Nite Solution, and is releasing a new book that is designed for rapid fat loss and muscle gain. John is coming on Bulletproof Executive Radio to help you do what some people call alchemy – burning fat and building muscle at the same time.
What We Cover
- How did you get interested in diet and health?
- What is carb back-loading, and how did you think of it?
- What makes carb back-loading different from regular post workout nutrition?
- Are there any benefits from training without pre-workout carbs?
- What kinds of foods do you use for carb back-loading?
- Are there any supplements you recommend when carb back-loading? Are there any you think are a total waste of money, and any you think actually work?
- Is there an optimal time to workout during the day?
- Can you get results with aerobic exercise?
- How would you do carb back-loading with someone who trains in the morning?
- How can caffeine be used to enhance carb back-loading?
- How can eating breakfast make it harder to lose fat? Why should people especially avoid carbs in the AM if they want to stay lean?
- How does fat act in a similar manner to carbs in terms of muscle replenishment?
- Since sleep deprivation decreases glucose tolerance, could lack of sleep potentially cause carb back-loading to be less effective?
- What are the most common mistakes people make when carb back-loading?
- What does a typical carb back-loading training day look like for you? What is the most (crap) you’ve been able to eat and stay lean, and possibly gaining muscle?
- Do you think there may be other health benefits from not eating crap? Such as living longer, better focus, avoiding cancer, etc.
- Where can people learn more about you?
Carb Back-Loading by John Kiefer
Listener Q & A Summary
- How do you get rid of mycotoxins?
- Which is worse, farmed salmon or grain-fed beef?
- Is there any evidence behind the set-point theory?
- Are all fermented foods contaminated with mold?
Questions for the podcast?
Leave your questions and responses in comments section below.
You can also ask your questions via…
Henrick: I’ve read about mycotoxins and I wonder if that’s why I get problem with my stomach if I eat Coconut milk and sometimes if I eat dark chocolate. Is there some way you can get rid of the mycotoxins for example store the coconut milk and chocolate in the freezer or the fridge?
Chuck: If stuck in a situation where you have only the option of farmed salmon or semi-lean grain-fed beef, which is the better choice?
Katy: Is there any evidence behind the set point theory? That your body will maintain the same level of fat mass no matter what? Say it ain’t so!
Matt: I thought I read somewhere that with The Bulletproof diet one should not eat fermented foods. Is this because of mycotoxins or do you believe that lactic acid bacteria can cause problems as well. I make my own sauerkraut and kimchee and consume them for digestive support and GI health. Just a bit confused at this point…
Don’t forget to subscribe in iTunes. It helps more people find our show.
videos, and deals you won’t find anywhere else.