Mary T. Newport, M.D. cured her husband’s Alzheimer’s disease with coconut oil and ketones. After struggling to find a way to help her ailing husband, Dr. Newport stumbled upon evidence ketones and ketogenic diets could be an effective treatment for degenerative diseases. She began testing her hypothesis on her husband and got amazing results.
After further research, Dr. Newport realized ketones have a host of other health improving effects. Dr. Mary Newport comes on Bulletproof Executive Radio to share some of these unique health promoting effects, and tells us how we can use them in our daily lives to improve brain performance. If you want to improve your health, become more resilient to disease, and increase your cognitive abilities – you’ll want to listen to our interview with Dr. Newport.
Did you know you can get a free PDF download of every transcript of every episode of Bulletproof Executive Radio by entering your email address in the box on the right side of this page? You also get a free copy of the Bulletproof Diet, the Bulletproof Shopping Guide, and much more.
What We Cover
- How Dr. Newport got interested in treating Alzheimer’s disease and the story of her husband’s recovery.
- Why you need to understand the mechanics of Alzheimer’s in order to maintain your brain function.
- The tipping point which made Dr. Newport believe ketones could enhance mental performance.
- The exact protocol she used to treat her husband’s Alzheimer’s disease.
- Other diseases than can be treated with ketones.
- How trans and hydrogenated fats disrupt your brain function and health.
- Why you should consider ketones as a possible method for extending your life.
- What makes coconut oil different from other sources of MCT’s.
- The most eye opening studies that support Dr. Newport’s research.
- The supplements you can take to speed the production of ketones.
- The foods highest in MCT’s.
- The dosing protocol you should use if you want to start experimenting with coconut oil and ketones.
- The resources, websites, and books you can use to learn more about this topic.
Links From The Show
Food & Supplements
Paleo Pemmican Powder Upgraded™ Whey Protein
Listener Q & A
- What are your recommendations for fixing an autoimmune disease?
- How do you heal extreme injuries like bone fractures?
- Do some people never regain the ability to digest fat?
- What does Dave eat on a daily basis?
- Are steel cut oats healthy?
- Could mycotoxins be the worst part about grains?
- What should you eat to cure prostate cancer?
- Should you be using tDCS to reduce cortisol levels?
- Is all MCT oil created equal?
- Are flu shots safe?
(A review of the latest studies and research.) “
- The Bulletproof Forum is live! If you want to start getting more in depth answers and asking longer questions, head over to http://bulletproofexec.com/forum, or click on the link at the top of the site. Every member of our team will be actively monitoring the forum and responding to your questions. We will also be pulling questions from the forum to be answered on the podcast.
- We are now offering the Bulletproof Toolbox when you sign up for our email newsletter. Enter your email in the form below to get instant access to a list of resources and videos including the Bulletproof Diet.
Questions for the podcast?
Leave your questions and responses in comments section below.
You can also ask your questions via…
Andy What are your recommendations for someone with an autoimmune disease – specifically ulcerative colitis would be. Both in general and in terms of the Bulletproof Diet? Currently I follow the LEF foundation’s protocol(http://www.lef.org/protocols/gastrointestinal/inflammatory_bowel_disease_02.htm), vitamin wise. I also take GABA, Ashwaghanda, 5-HTP, resveratrol(not really bulletproof, but it helps), ALA/ALC/Carnosine and melatonin. I live in Japan and follow a fairly bulletproof diet, low wheat, bulletproof coffee every day, lots of raw egg yolks, etc. I have actually found the higher saturated fat, lower carb diet to be great for my symptoms, contrary to what the experts would tell you! I also culture my own raw milk, organic probiotic enhanced kefir, which works awesomely well. One thing I haven’t yet tried is removing nightshades from my diet.
Sean Do you have experience with healing extreme injuries like bone fractures (broken bones)? Diets similar to yours will manage inflammation, but dollar for dollar, which supplements and/or foods have you found to be most valuable in healing?
Sasho I am trying the bulletproof diet and I have tried a high-fat diet in the past, but every time I do it, I feel weird, spacey, un-grounded etc…. you know, the low blood/brain sugar symptoms… so how do I approach this to get results? I have tried to stick for 2-3 weeks, hoping to adapt and start converting fat for energy. My body just doesn’t seem to like processing fat.
Mike I am interested in starting the Bulletproof Diet. I see the food charts and the number of recommended servings per day, but can you give me an idea of what and when you eat on a daily basis? Right now I eat on average every 2.5 – 3hrs. I eats steel cut oats now, is the something you recommend I stop eating?
D Almeida There is a lot of epidemiological evidence that wheat products aren’t that great for health, but the research of paleo-types usual focus on gluten, though research on that has been less than conclusive. Have you ever considered that the mold/mycotoxins from wheat could be what everyone should be focusing on?
Mike I’m curious if any of your readers had success with your diet and prostate cancer. I have low grade p/c and eat kinda like an americanized macrobiotic diet. I do eat little fish, (wild salmon-sardines mostly) grass-fed meat only on occasions. My grains are brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, yams and root veg. as pumpkin, squash, etc.,the rest is plenty veggies, some beans, some fruits, (mostly berries)The fats I consume are avocados, coconut oil, evoo, little pasteurized grass fed butter, and nuts, mostly almonds and walnuts. Not afraid of fats but I do not want to overdo it. My blood test #’s are really good. The only supplement I take vitamineral greens, and citrus pectin plus vit D in water.
Andy What do you think of the recent hype around tDCS: http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110413/full/472156a.html. Have you tried it? Would you recommend it? It would seem to be a rather cheap, safe and effective means of lowering cortisol and boosting concentration for a number of hours. Cheers, Andy
Shane There are a lot of different companies that sell MCT oil, an I’m trying to figure out what the difference is. Is there anything special about the MCT oil on Upgraded Self, or is it all pretty much the same?
Zingbo Since we’re entering sniffle season and I seem to be the only person in my office healthy enough to not be bedridden right now, I have a question for you guys: are flu shots bulletproof?
Don’t forget to leave a ranking in iTunes. It helps more people find our show.
upgrading your performance, health, and life.