Dr. Tim Noakes is one of the world’s foremost exercise scientists and the author of numerous books including the Lore of Running. From the University of Cape Town exercise research center, Dr. Noakes has worked with some of the greatest athletes of all time. His research is redefining the way we think about fatigue in sports and regular life.
A lifelong runner (71 marathons and ultra-marathons), writer, and researcher (and recently, a paleo eater), Tim Noakes has used his knowledge to hack the human mind for improved athletic performance. Whether you’re an athlete or a cubicle dweller, you need to hear this interview.
Did you know you can get a free PDF download of every transcript of every episode of Bulletproof Executive Radio by entering your email address in the box on the right side of this page? You also get a free copy of the Bulletproof Diet, the Bulletproof Shopping Guide, and much more.
What We Cover
- Why your ability to go faster and handle pain is controlled by the brain.
- The Central Governor Theory and how it relates to sports and regular life.
- Why bonking is all in your head.
- How super athletes recover between races like the Tour de France.
- Why you should focus on building confidence instead of training your muscles.
- How your brain is keeping you from reaching your full athletic potential.
- How to train your mind and body to resist pain.
- The workouts and advice you need to build an unstoppable mindset.
- Why you’ll never reach your fastest times without high intensity training.
- Real world examples and research behind the Central Governor Theory.
- Anticipatory thermogenesis and weight loss.
- The secret to Dave’s ability to eat 4500 calories a day and not get fat.
- Tim Ferriss’s recommendation to put ice packs on your shoulders to aid fat loss.
- Dr. Noakes’ new book Challenging Beliefs.
- How you can train your brain to overcome fatigue in all walks of life.
Links From The Show
Exercise Science and Sports Medicine Research Unit At The University of Cape Town, South Africa (Where Dr. Noakes works)
Books by Dr. Noakes
Books mentioned in the Q & A
The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith
Supplements & Food
Paleo Pemmican Powder Upgraded™ Whey Protein
Listener Q & A
- Which is better, Paleo Pemmican or Hydrolyzed Collagen?
- What supplements does Dave take?
- Does a high fat diet cause insulin resistance (revisited)
- Do fats have nutrients, and why doesn’t eating fat make you fat?
- Can you eat grass-fed butter if you’re allergic to dairy?
- Can raw vegetarians eat a Bulletproof Diet?
Biohacker Report (latest studies & research)
We’re now offering a full Bulletproof Coaching Program. Check it out if you need to lose fat, gain muscle, or upgrade your brain.
2. Grass-Fed Meat: An Epic Series
We started a massive series that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about grass-fed meat. Sign up for our newsletter to have every article delivered straight to your email.
Don’t forget to tweet a link to this episode and enter to win a free copy of Dr. Noakes’ new book: Challenging Beliefs.
Questions for the podcast?
Leave your questions and responses in comments section below.
You can also ask your questions via…
Is it more cost effective to go for the Paleo Pemmican or the Collagen Powder? As with the Paleo Pemmican you get the whole shebang with the collagen. The Collagen Powder only has pure collagen.
What gave you the most benefit and is it overkill to take both?
It seems like you take a ton of different supplements. I was wondering if you could outline exactly which ones you take and why?
What is your take on animal research that shoes being on a high fat diet is strongly linked to decreased insulin sensitivity?
If the goal is 50-60% of calories from healthy fats, that implies fats have nutrients. Could you expand on this? Also, what keeps fats down the gullet from becoming fat around the waistline?
1) I’ve had dairy allergies since childhood. could I substitute extra virgin coconut oil for grass-fed butter in Bulletproof Coffee? If not, do you have any other suggestions on replacements for dairy?
2) I’m 95-99 percent raw food vegetarian (a vegetarian for 35 years, raw foodie for 4 years). I eat eggs occasionally, and can tolerate small amounts of raw goat milk cheese (is raw goat milk cheese evil?). Is there a place for me in the Bulletproof Diet plan?
Don’t forget to leave a ranking in iTunes. It helps more people find our show.
videos, and deals you won’t find anywhere else.